Saturday, February 13, 2010

honoring my dad and mom

our old church had a luncheon today to honor all the work my father has done and is doing through these, i think 60 or so years--they also recognized my mom for all her years singing in the choir-

it brought back a lot of memories - as people talked about funny things and touching things they remembered about my parents-
this was the first time we have been back to our church , since we started looking for a different church--
i didn't feel funny at all , in fact i almost made me feel like i should go back, back to where i'm welcome and wanted--yeah just visiting makes you forget all the reasons ya left-- i'm glad frank and i both feel healed - healed of the wrongs we felt were done to us-

but i don't think we will go back- not unless God reveals that plan to us-

hearing all the nice things people said about my parents. made me very proud of them, not just as my parents- but as individuals, with lives and friends all of their own-

it's easy to think of your parents as people whose only life, is all about their kids-

and partly today was about that- but mom and dad have so many people who love and respect them- it is not everyone who will have a day where they are honored in this way- it was very special to them both-

mother even sang a song with the preacher- one he said was the first duet he sang at our church and it was with my mother- it was "in the garden"-

robyn was a little sad as we left the church today-she said she wished she had known her grandparents when they were younger-

robyn also was very emotional- one of her sunday school teachers , told her that the reason we have not found a church yet, is because we belong there--robyn doesn't want to go back there, but she loves so many people there, as we do-

i hope my fater and mother will remember this day fondly -

No comments:

Post a Comment