Friday, November 29, 2013

hits and misses of the big turkey day

i trust everyone had a good thanksgiving and if not well it is over---

thought i would share a little cooking stuff with ya this black friday morning--you know i have never shopped on black friday----not missing it, i don't think

this year i tried a couple of different things with my regular dishes---

everyone seemed to enjoy my candied sweet potatoes--frank was inquiring why they were unusually good---this year i added a lot of salt (i know) and pepper--maybe more pepper than anything---i think it enhanced the flavor--

i always think i need to add another side dish and tend to over-do---but hey, that's me-----i took frozen carrots and well, i pretty much ruined them----i went a little too adventurous with them, adding thyme, rosemary---and of all things, don't ask me why---lime vinaigrette--boy a little of that goes a long long way and it is not much you can do to over-power it---and believe me i tried-----

now the peas, i liked, i added mint to them---just a hint---

okay, i am gonna confess, this year i had instant mashed potatoes---but i thought they rivaled homemade---i added sour cream---more milk than it called for---lots of butter and again an abundance of pepper-

i last minute decided to make--paula deen's corn-bread--kinda like pudding thing---i am not sure what was wrong with it this year---it was good, but maybe i over-cooked it---if you haven't tried that one, it is well worth a shot-

okay another confession---i used dry package gravy mix---added turkey drippings and mashed potatoes to thicken---everyone came back again and again for it---

we were heavy on the desserts this year---bought some pies---apple, pumpkin and sweet potato and my sweet baker neighbor brought over her "chocolate mud" pie----robyn once again made her delicious ooey gooey pumpkin cake--another master pieces of paula----and this year i tried the peach "dump" cake---which i am renaming a peach "cobbler"----loved it and so so very easy---

another confession---hmmm that's three, if you are counting---i saw one of my friend's pictures on facebook, and she was holding a giant collard green---so i just had to have some greens--okay they were canned---but next year, i am cooking them the day before--fresh                                                                                           
all in all everything turned out well--

oh i almost forgot---tired of that "green bean casserole"----i made up a california  vegetable casserole, which i will surely make again-----

got any hits and misses you care to share-----happy thanksgiving weekend friends

19 comments:

  1. I love Paula's gooey cake. It's a favorite of ours here! Thankfully, I didn't have to cook this year, so I didn't get adventurous in the kitchen. Your Thanksgiving sounded like it was a success though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lucky you theresa---no jk---i do love to cook, once i get going---yeah ever since the gooey cake---i will take it over pie any day :)

      Delete
    2. Everything sounds delicious to me! We had a good Thanksgving too. I'm hoping that next year I'll have more time and energy to try new sides.

      Have a great weekend, Lynn!

      Delete
    3. you are gonna be busier than ever next year, dana---enjoy your weekend too :)

      Delete
  2. I was only responsible for two items, thank goodness! The garlic/cheese grits, which is always a hit as well as a tradition in our family. The miss... it still turned out okay, but the jello from the pretzel salad sure made a mess in the fridge when I spilled it! Gotta remember to finish cleaning that up... eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmm i love grits and almost made a grits dish----and you know what ms. a--for some reason, i am intimidated by jello salads---i love them though and especially the pretzel one :)

      Delete
  3. Whoa. Honestly you out-did yourself. Use as many instant, precanned stuff as possible, is my motto.

    If you make collard greens, cook them with diced ham, bacon, and leeks. You will have to thoroughly wash them, tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks susan--you make me want to make some now---oh and i have that same motto ;)

      Delete
  4. When I unmolded the jello salad I'd brought to share for Thanksgiving, there was dog fur on it. I was so embarrassed! Everyone knows we come from a three dog house, but still. It was a miss. Next time I will make sure that after I spray the mold with cooking spray, I either pour jello in it asap, or cover it so stray pieces of fur can't get in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my, michelle---that is too bad---but i admire you bringing a jello dish--for some unknown reason, it freaks me out to make a jello mold--even though i love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious! We spent our Thanksgiving rock climbing in Joshua Tree. But my oldest wound up with the stomach flu. Not so nice. I love your comment, Lynn.."i went a little too adventurous with them". You always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwww so sorry about the stomach flu---that stuff is the worse! thank you susan, you always inspire me to push on <3

      Delete
  7. I want to try the gooey cake! lol My mom cooked and we only took tea and bread. It was a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh you should try it marie--it's one of our favorite desserts!!! but you know the peach cobbler was a close second---lucky you, tea and bread---glad you had a good day :)

      Delete
  8. I've made box potatoes too. They're really good! Mint with peas...have to try that. I always use packet gravy too. :-) People seem to scarf up whatever is made on Turkey Day! I'm preparing for Christmas by posting a daily suggestion on facebook of simple things to do to be more outreaching this holiday season. I want to keep the heart of Christmas close and not get so caught up in the chaos. I'm letting my fellow believers know, in case you want to check it out. Start at my blog for my "Shine Your Christmas" project. The older I get, the less I want of all the superficial stuff. Am I getting to be a scrooge?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no you don't sound like a scrooge at all, mare! man i wish i had of stopped by during your shine your Christmas project--i think i am gonna go take a look anyway! and i agree with the superficial stuff--but almost bought a Christmas tree at "big lots" today, 75% off--i resisted ;)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. I use the gravy mixes with cooking juices too. It's always good and much more of a sure thing than homemade.

    It's just odd that the holidays are over again. I hope the new year is treating you well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i know, it's like they flew by---and although i do admit to being a little over them before they were over---buying some of the clearance holiday stuff the other day, made me want them back soon---happy new year danielle :)

    ReplyDelete