Saturday, April 30, 2016

the trip to the Zoo



Today as we mark the end of this journey- however small- it has been a journey of sorts- I end with a day- One of those days you don't see as it's happening- how many times you will look back on it

It was close to the end of the school year- my class was taking a trip to the D.C. national zoo-

The weather was perfect
I dressed that morning very carefully- making sure mama curled my medium brown shoulder length hair just to my liking

When I got on the huge tour bus- there was my classmate neighbor and best friend - she was wearing the exact same dress- we were thrilled!

I don't know if our mothers had secretly planned this or not- it was a khaki style dress sleeveless and had pockets on the top part- it was a dress that could be worn today

I remember the excitement of it all- the best part was my friend was also my trip partner- so of course we got to sit together the whole way there and back- and her mom who was like another mom to me too- was one of the chaperones!

We stopped at "Stuckey's" - I had only been there a couple of times- it was a place you could get gas- eat and buy endless trinkets and souvenirs- I can't recall what I purchased there but it may have been a pecan log

On the bus ride home another friend shared her brownies her grandmother had made and sent for the trip- they were so delicious- more like a cake brownie

As you can tell this day is indelibly etched in my memory as one of the best childhood days - even though I don't remember one poor animal we saw that spring day--for most of our treasured times are more about the journey


12 comments:

  1. The song is one of my favourites. Not too many people know it, And memories always come flooding back to me if there is certain scent., like one kind of cookie baking will always bring me back to my childhood Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know- scents are sometimes the strongest link for me!

      Delete
  2. Sounded like such a fun field trip!!

    Enjoyed your A/Z, Lynn!!

    Now like I said yesterday, maybe a post or two before the next year's??

    congrats on finishing the challenge!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to be around at least more! Congrats betty!!❤

      Delete
  3. Awww how fun! I can't think of a "perfect day" like that from childhood. I wish I had one etched in my memory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting to find your blog here. Some memories never leave us. The A-Z Journey has been a long one. I was very relieved to finally finish Z, since I was doing this on two different blogs. If I attempt it next year I will have to pick a different blog. I've exhausted the Z subjects on one of my challenge blogs. I wish I'd known sooner you were doing this, but now I should have time to go backwards and catch up. I think I'll skip blogging for a day now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of my trips to the Cincinnati Zoo were among my most favorite childhood memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some memories just stay with you don't they.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an absolutely wonderful day! The animals weren't that important in the light of "twin day"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! In return for leaving a comment on our blog, you've won a copy of the Parallels anthology: http://parallelsanthology.blogspot.com/2016/05/parallels-is-here.html Just let us know your preferred ebook format and we'll send the copy to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every once and a while my boys have to produce an essay from some trip we've gone on. It's NEVER about the trip, rather some insignificant (I thought anyways) detail at the time becoming the key memory for them.

    It's never the big stuff or the money spent... it's always the little things. :) Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't remember any of my perfect days from childhood.

    ReplyDelete